Choosing a baby and child car seat can be a bit more difficult than it looks. There are so many varieties on the market and you can really get confused when you decide to buy. In this article we have prepared a guide that can help you in choosing baby car seats. By carefully reviewing this guide, you can determine which seat you need and easily decide which seat to buy.
You are always at risk of getting involved in an accident while driving. Therefore, if you are traveling with your child, you need to take the necessary extra measures. In addition, the Highways Traffic Regulation made it a necessity to use child seats in cars for child safety. You should not take your child out without a suitable car seat to ensure that your child travels safely and comfortably.
- 1 What does a child car seat do? Infant car seat information
- 2 How to choose a baby and child car seat? Infant car seat and baby auto seat
- 3 Child car seat groups : Infant car seat and baby auto seat
- 4 When to switch to a higher category baby car seat?
- 5 Switching from Baby (Group 0+) to Child (Group 1)
- 6 Switching from Child (Group 1) to Older Child (Group 2/3)
- 7 How long should the baby and child auto seat be used?
- 8 Baby and child car seat should be careful when buying
- 9 Infant and child car seat connection with vehicle – Isofix feature of infant car seat
- 10 Baby and Child Car Seat Admission Angle
- 11 General advice on baby and child car seats – Child auto seat review and rules for buying
What does a child car seat do? Infant car seat information
Baby auto seat, child auto seat and car seat for children
Your child or baby will remain stationary in this special seat during the journey. Thanks to its standstill, your child will not jump out of the seat and minimize the risk of injury in the event of an accident. If you do not intend to use a baby safety seat, let us briefly explain what might happen in the event of an accident.
Bone structures are weak in newborn infants. That’s why babies can’t sit up and can’t stand. In addition, a child’s head can be up to one third of his body weight. In adults, this ratio is 1 in 14, which means that if young children sit in the direction of driving and the vehicle gets involved in an accident from the front, the nape of the neck and spinal cord are subject to a heavy load at the time of the accident. Babies may experience serious injuries as their bones and muscle structures are underdeveloped.
I’m driving at low speeds, I’m not going to use a baby car seat if you say that the following: while carrying your baby in your lap at 50 km / h speed if you make the accident at the speed of your baby can jump. This test, performed by quality control agencies in Europe, also found that an infant traveling on the lap of an adult was left in the lap of an adult with a pressure of 2.5 tons when the car was subjected to a collision at a speed of 48 km. This is equivalent to falling from the third floor of a building. These test results show that the car seat is essential for the safety of your child.
How to choose a baby and child car seat? Infant car seat and baby auto seat
A good car seat is the most important thing you will get for your child. You will need a child car seat from birth. He will use safety equipment that is suitable for his age until he reaches the average age of 8, who can use the standard seat belt without any assistance.
Buying the most expensive child car seat on the market is not the best solution. Many mid-range models are as good as the expensive ones and perform even better. Whatever the price, any seat may not even fit your car. So you should buy a child car seat thinking a little further. Your baby will also need to change seats as they grow up. In the following illustrations, you can see which seats you should use at which stage.
The most suitable baby and child car seat that you can choose is the product that fits your baby, your child and your car in the best way and also offers convenience that you will not wear while installing. Identifying this product may vary depending on your child’s height, weight, age and car. Since most babies are traveling in the car with the mother’s lap, which is also mounted in the stroller, until 12 months (or 9 kg) after birth, usually the car seat search process is not entered early. But as we mentioned above, nothing is more important than the safety of your baby. Some of the main lap models may be compatible with the car seat. You can buy it in consideration.
Child car seat groups : Infant car seat and baby auto seat
The car seats are classified as Group 0, Group 0+, Group 1, Group 2, Group 3 from the table below. There are seats in just one of these groups, as well as seats that address multiple groups at the same time.
– The first category called group 0 includes children up to 9 months and up to 10 kilos. These babies, who are in the age of breastfeeding, should be transported completely or in a 50 percent supine position.
– The second category, Group 1, covers children aged 9 months to 4 years and weighing between 9 and 18 kg. If there is sitting support, there is no harm in placing children in this category upright according to their age.
– The next group, group 2, is comprised of children aged 3 to 5 years, weighing between 15 and 25 pounds. It is imperative that children in this category do not use the seat belt that belongs to adults.
– The last category includes children between 22 and 36 pounds and 6 to 12 years. It is recommended for these children to use seat types called risers. You might think of this as a booster, which they call “Boosters” and is fixed to the seat.
Seats with very wide ranges, such as 0 – 36 kg, 9 – 36 kg, may not be suitable. Each group mentioned above has different security and attachment styles. You will benefit from using two different seats respectively, separating the ranges from 0 – 18 kg and 18 – 36 kg. For a 9-month-old baby, using the seat until the age of 12 is just a dream for the reasons mentioned above.
Now let’s explain the categories:
For babies between 0-10 pounds:
– Only used with the back of the seat facing.
– Since the development of the bones of infants has not yet been completed, it should be used in a supine or 45-50 degree position.
– There are seat belts that run down the shoulders and under the shoulders with the back facing.
– Portable parts and models with a handle to carry by hand are also available. (The carrying handle must be kept in the locked position when driving.)
For young children between 9-18 pounds:
Can be used for children from about 9 months to 4 years of age. Children of this age can sit, but need a safe seating surface, so these seats are called child safety seats.
When it is used facing forward, it has reinforced holes that move the belts upward.
It protects the child in the use of the face up to 18 kg and up to 90 cm.
For children between 15-22 pounds:
Can be used for children aged about 3-7 years.
The child of this age can be seated freely, but the adult seat belt does not provide the necessary safe travel for the child alone. Therefore, it needs a child safety seat.
For children between 22-36 pounds:
It is available for children aged 6-12 years.
The adult seat belt does not provide the necessary safe travel alone. Therefore, it needs a child safety seat.
For children between 15-36 pounds:
Can be used for children aged 3-12 years.
It can be made age appropriate with various apparatus (Booster).
For children between 9-36 pounds:
It can be used for children between 9 months and 12 years.
These models can be changed according to the age of the child. Prolonged use may cause security problems.
When to switch to a higher category baby car seat?
We advise you to wait as long as possible before moving from the baby category (Group 0+) to the child category (Group 1) in the car seat. The safest type of travel for babies is the opposite direction of travel. Thus, the energy generated during a possible collision is absorbed and dissipated by the seat frame and seat belts.
Switching from Baby (Group 0+) to Child (Group 1)
If the upper line of your baby’s ears exceeds the upper line of the car seat, it is time to move to a higher category seat.
You should take care not to replace the car seat with a big one until now. You should ensure that your baby’s head is well protected by the head restraint of the car seat. Important note: Your child’s legs protruding from the corners of the seat do not pose a problem for your child’s safety.
Switching from Child (Group 1) to Older Child (Group 2/3)
If the head restraint of the car seat is in the highest position, you should switch to the older child category (Group 2/3) if your child’s shoulders are 2 cm above the widest part of the shoulder straps in the car seat. Make sure that the head restraint is in the lowest position when you move to the upper category in the car seat.
How long should the baby and child auto seat be used?
Your legal obligation to use auto safety ceases when your child reaches 1.35 to 1.50 meters (approx. 12 years). Please note that children who do not use a car seat must always wear a seat belt during the journey.
Baby and child car seat should be careful when buying
First Criteria: Cars
If you do not have your car yet, and you intend to buy it or plan to change it, you should ensure that the crash test result of your new car has a high “Child Passenger” accident test result. As the current European Union standard published in 2013, i-Size covers the ECE 44 standard and introduces additional security measures. With i-Size, the classification was made with height instead of weight, the back-up period of the seat was increased from 12 months to 15 months, Isofix was made compulsory, head-neck protection and side impact absorber were increased. Therefore, it is a great idea to choose the seats with the orange i-Size label on the side.
You should also choose a baby car seat that securely covers your baby’s head without squeezing it. Too much space around the head may cause neck damage during an accident. Some seats have side impact absorbing systems to absorb impacts from the door, which may be a good solution to reduce and evenly distribute the incoming impact. It is often neglected, but life-saving, that the seat is tied upside down (ie the child’s face is facing backwards) until the child is 105 cm tall. Research shows that in the event of frontal collisions, reverse linking reduces the risk of death or permanent damage to children by up to 75%. Even if your children experience adaptation problems in the opposite direction, it is necessary to insist on this (crying don’t intimidate you). If this is adopted as a necessity rather than a luxury, you will be able to circumvent the baby’s getting used to travel in this position more easily.
Infant and child car seat connection with vehicle – Isofix feature of infant car seat
Isofix, the generic name of the ISO 13216 standard, specifies that the car seats for infants and children have been developed to connect cars. The two bars on the back of the baby and child seats connect to the Isofix sockets on the car, helping to secure the baby seat in the rear seat of the car. Another advantage of Isofix is that it allows you to easily remove the child with the seat in the event of an accident without having to hold the child to the car. This will also prevent you from carrying a faulty transport until the medical team arrives.
Although Isofix comes as standard for most cars, you need to check your vehicle for this feature before you buy a seat that uses this link. Isofix comes as standard in almost every car on the market. You still have to make sure it’s in your own car.
If Isofix car seat feature is not available
You can secure the child seat to the rear seat of the car with the seat belt. You can fasten the seat belt through the clips on the back of the child seat. Isofix does not offer a connection as easily. It is also not as secure as the Isofix connection.
Baby and Child Car Seat Admission Angle
Especially for infants younger than 9 months, the position of hospitalization during the journey is an important issue. Since the baby has not yet fully acquired the sitting habit and sitting in an upright position can cause various damages to the spine, and it is actually impossible, the smaller the baby, the greater the lying position. Besides, when the baby sleeps in an upright position, it is safer to sleep in the lying position, since it cannot prevent the head from falling forward due to its weak neck structure. Most of the seats are really restricted, especially for babies in small months. So the smaller your child, the more angle you need to buy a child seat.
Wide angle of rotation (bidirectional use)
The greater the angle of rotation of the child seat, the more comfortable you are at work. This type of seat offers both rear and front travel. The second major benefit is that the seat can easily rotate around its own axis, making it easier for the parent to place the baby in the car and fasten the seat belt. Otherwise, while the seat is fixed forward and backward, you may face the possibility of injury to your back, especially as the baby’s weight increases. If your vehicle is big enough, you can turn your seat towards you and hold your baby, even with the door closed. The car’s rear seat and rear door widths will be a factor that guides you in this regard.
General advice on baby and child car seats – Child auto seat review and rules for buying
– Never buy a second-hand child seat. If it was an accident, it may have lost its shock absorber. Belts may also be out of flexibility.
– Always connect the car seat to the rear seat. Traveling in the rear seat is safer than traveling in the front seat. Remember to cancel the front airbags if you have to connect the car seat to the front seat of your vehicle if necessary.
– Read and retain the user manual carefully.
– Try not to use products that do not have European quality and standard certification.
– Make sure that the car seat fabric is non-sweaty and washable.
– Keep in mind that models from 0 to 12 months will be secured in reverse with the vehicle’s own seat belt.
– Your child should be the only criterion in the assessment when buying a car seat. The one who will save his life; Please note that the seat is not the pattern or color, but the advanced safety technology.
– Make sure that child and baby car seats have a 5-point safety belt. This will ensure that your baby or child remains stationary in each case. Each car is equipped with a 3-point seat belt. Child seats are also available on this market. However, 5-point anchor belts are more suitable for young children and infants.
Do you need an infant car seat? Here our shopping recommendation for families: